Saturday, March 28, 2009

Just games for the fifth

I caught a cold and haven't been feeling well for the last few days. I needed to lie down and rest but I must be able to post my class activities for the coming week.

Originally, I was going to do a video activity but that would have to be until I can submit my students' homework after two weeks. I would like to be able to do the video class because one of my prerequisite is a video submission before I would allow my students to take their final exams. Several examples of what they can possibly do might help give them ideas.

Anyway, I've decided to do a couple of ESL games, one of which I have devised. I called mine "Bring Out The Dogs". Bring Out The Dogs is an activity where my students must be able to provide a quick reply to radical questions. Ten questions for each group will be provided before the activity. The whole class will be divided into two groups - Groups A and B. Students in Group A will ask students from Group B a question. Group A will write down Group B's replies. Group B will in turn ask Group A a question and write down the replies. The groups will take turns asking each other questions.

After all the questions had been asked and all the replies had been written down, the teacher will write the questions on the blackboard and solicit replies from the students and write these on the blackboard. We will discuss each of the reply, taking in to consideration the structure and the implications of such replies. Other suggestions might be considered.

Why "Dogs?" The title has no particular reference to anything other than being a part of the title. Usually, such a phrase would refer to an assistance in repelling an attack, or a protection.

The next ESL game is called Charades. Instead of the usual way of playing it with movie titles, books or people, I modified it to use phrasal verbs. Charades is an acting-guessing game. A student is selected to act out a phrasal verb without having to use vocal words to identify it. The class would try and guess the exact phrasal verbs based on their understanding of their classmates' acting.

The two games will be allotted an equal time of half a period each.

No comments:

Post a Comment